3.25.2012

DIY Square Pouf


Do It Yourself...Pouf
While flipping through the latest west elm catalog I saw these floor cushions/poufs. Of course I have seen a few similar versions on pintrest which I pinned on my DIY/Project board along with 50 other ideas I want to DIY. So I sat down Friday night and went to work.  My first dilemma was what fabric to use...I really didn't have enough of one pattern but I did have a canvass drop cloth. I cut all my pieces (2-24x24 and 1 - 13x96) but I knew the end result would be kind of boring. Printing my own fabric has always been something I wanted to try...so I did...using a potato stamp. Yep, a potato stamp like the kind you may have created for that eight grade craft project....It worked! I wanted the pattern to look "handmade and organic" it's far from perfect but I like it...read more about printing your own fabric using a potato stamp here.
The basic construction of the pouf was really easy - just cut your pieces 2-24"x24" and one 13"x96" piece. If you don't have a 96" piece in one length..that's ok just piece 24" pieces together. Sew the pieces to make the pouf leaving an opening to stuff.
Stuffing the pouf....this was the hardest part mainly because I didn't buy anything to do this project...so using old towels and an old bag of poly-fill it took a while to fill!
I am very pleased with the end result!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It's holding up pretty well...with the abuse it faces on a daily basis! 


Linking here

14 comments:

  1. so cute! I want to make one of these too for our basement once it's finished:) Thanks for sharing and giving me some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I want to make another and use them as ottomans in our basement! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. It looks gorgeous! The print is perfect! And you used a potato?! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great! I have a pouf from India and stuff it with newspapers, but no one sits on it except for my cats~ I'm having a party over at Etcetorize and would love for you to share this (http://etcetorize.blogspot.com). Hope to see you there~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- I love this!! You make it look so easy. And the potato stamp idea is fabulous. I will def be pinning this so that I have it when I'm ready to tackle this kind of project... I would love to have a couple of these to sort of toss around my living room for extra seating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great for extra seating...or kid lounging...and jumping!

      Delete
  5. thanks for sharing!! i could totally see using these in our playroom & family room :) {found your post through market yourself monday}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! Good job with the printing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on the poof!! Looks like it's well used!




    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT! It is so cute and fashionable. The printing is perfect. Stopping by from Be Different, Act Normal. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely Fabulous!! I'm definitely making one with your easy directions. Thanks for sharing. I'm featuring this today at my Thursday's Top Ten:

    http://www.happygoluckyblog.com/2012/04/thursdays-top-ten.html

    ReplyDelete